1. Can I use the device computer and software throughout my career at GHS?
Yes. While the rapid pace of computer technology guarantees that more advanced units will be available before you graduate, your unit will be powerful enough for your classroom work throughout your career at GHS. The available software will be usable in upper level as well as entry-level course work. Of course, just as upper level courses require different textbooks, you may need additional software as you move through the curriculum.
2. What if I already have another model or brand of tablet or Laptop computer?
Grandview R-II fully supports, Bring Your Own Devices. If you choose to bring your own device, Grandview R-II will not be responsible for the care or maintenance. Students who bring their own device will not be able to connect to their student drive through their device.
3. Can I have my device/computer this summer?
No. All devices will be collected at the end of the school year for general maintenance, cleaning, and software installation purposes. Students will receive their devices again at their orientation session in the fall to ensure that everyone receives complete information about the computer, including its warranty, insurance coverage, software usage and GHS’s policy regarding the ethical use of computers.
4. Where do I find an authorized service technician?
All devices should be taken to the Grandview R-II School Technology office for repair. They will either repair the device or have it repaired by an authorized technician.
5. What about insurance against theft or breakage through carelessness?
Your device is very portable and very valuable, making it an attractive target for thieves. Therefore, device protection is encouraged. The school protection plan covers tablet breakage and theft, not loss for a $50.00 payment.
The best insurance is to take care of your device. Do not leave your device in the building, classroom, or car unattended. Always know where your device is! Above all, take your computer home each night.
6. Does GHS provide maintenance on my device?
Yes. The Technology Director will coordinate maintenance for students. Students enrolled at GHS will be covered by a maintenance agreement for items described in the Manufacturer’s warranty agreement and Accidental Protection Plan. Please consult the warranty agreement so that you understand what is and what is not covered.
7. What will I do without a computer in my classes if my unit is being repaired or while I am replacing it if it is lost or stolen?
Grandview R-II High School stocks a limited number of devices that can be loaned out on a first come, first-served basis. You will be able to apply for a loaner unit. If you are in possession of a loner, treat it as if it were your own computer. You will be responsible for any damage to the unit or for its loss.
8. If I purchase software in addition to the available software provided through GHS, will the Technology Director load it for me?
9. Do I need a printer?
You need not own one since printers are located near classrooms and in the library.
10. Will I need to buy a modem?
No. The computer will connect through a wireless system.
11. Will there be facilities to back up the files I create on my device?
Yes. When you save your documents to a removable memory card or USB drive you can then insert it into a district computer and transfer your files to your network drive.
12. What if I want to add options to my device later?
Only the Grandview R-II School District is authorized to add options and upgrades to your device computer.
13. What if I want to run another operating system on my device?
Only the operating system chosen by the Grandview R-II School District will be authorized to run on student-issued devices.
14. Will I be given a new battery if mine goes bad?
The device battery will be replaced by the manufacturer for defects. You will be responsible for charging your battery and proper battery maintenance. If you need to borrow a power adapter for class, you may check it out at the high school library. The adapter must be returned before the end of the school day.
15. What has the school done to help prevent students from going to inappropriate sites?
We have a software product which is designed to help monitor all Internet sites that students attempt to access at school. This software blocks inappropriate sites and also logs a history of every site that each user opens. All students who attempt to find inappropriate sites will be directed to the Principal’s Office. Parents/guardians are responsible for monitoring home usage.
16. Are Student devices subject to school “snooping”; what if they bring their device in for repairs and “objectionable data” is detected?
Devices are the property of the Grandview R-II School District. Inappropriate material on the devices should be reported to the classroom teacher, principal, or technology staff immediately upon identification. Students who have “objectionable data” on their device but have failed or chosen not to report it will be referred to the Principal’s Office.
17. If the accessories to my device are lost or stolen, how much will it cost to replace them?
In the event that device accessories are stolen, you should report the lost items to the technology office. Students will be charged actual costs plus shipping/handling.