October gives us a full month to focus on Cyber Security Awareness. Are you #CyberAware? Hopefully, the tips and activities we shared on social media and in our newsletter were inspirations that reminded you of common practices and precautions to stay safe online.
Our online presence is part of our everyday lives. Cyber security is everyone’s business. When we practice safe and cautious digital activities, we are protecting ourselves, families and businesses.
Common components to staying safe online:
- Share with care: What you post is FOREVER. Know who you are sharing personal information with.
- Create a strong password: Longer is stronger (at least 15 characters). Use complexity. Don’t use the same password for everything or share your password with others.
- Public wifi: Never use public wifi for personal business (banking, shopping, etc).
- Use secure websites: Look for the padlock in the address bar and HTTPS in the address.
- Beware of suspicious emails: Don’t click on links or open attachments in emails that you are not expecting. When in doubt, throw it out!
- Update your operating system and apps: Keeping your devices up-to-date will help to plug security holes and vulnerabilities.
Remember, cyber security is a part of our every day lives. It is important to understand the safeguards and associated risks of our online activities.
Here are some more resources to help you continue your #CyberAware posture throughout the year.